Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sixteen: Ghazal

Definition: a ghazal is a poem that is composed of an odd number of couplets, usually seven, where each couplet stands as an independent poem. There is a one to three-word refrain (raadif) with an inline rhyme (kaafiyaa) that precedes the refrain. The first two lines, and every second line contains the refrain and the inline rhyme. The rhyme scheme is AA bA cA dA eA, ...



Life is a constant fumble with words,
Till the day I die, I mumble my words.

I write & spit, speak & chew, gargle & rinse,
But my stomach continues to rumble for words.


Wedged in between cracks in the sidewalk,
Even in loud silence I stumble upon words.


I cannot listen, my love, to you or myself,
Our minds are bound to jumble all words.

Nature is written, not painted, it seems,
In patchy field dreams, we tumble through words.


Our vandalism kisses every inch of the earth,
Life's beauties and sorrows crumble with words.


But my last sunset shall be brilliant, I'm sure,
And I will fall asleep quietly, too humble for words.


[Amrita Mishra's fifteen, Steve Ersinghaus' the poem i can never remember, Neha Bawa's stumble)]

No comments:

Post a Comment